Jun. 28, 2021
Does Your Child Know Yoga?
I remember when I was 7 years of age. In my spare time, I would do special types of stretching. Many years later I realized I was doing yoga the whole time! It really amazed me when I found out. Yoga is not just for adults! In fact, it can give children very important life skills that can help them succeed in the world.
- Yoga helps children manage their anxiety.
- Yoga improves children’s emotional regulation.
- Yoga boosts children’s self-esteem.
- Yoga increases children’s body awareness and mindfulness.
- Yoga enhances children’s concentration and memory.
- Yoga develops children’s strength and flexibility.
- Yoga teaches discipline and reduces impulsivity.
Emerging research studies also suggest that yoga can help children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) by improving the core symptoms of ADHD, including inattentiveness, hyperactivity, and impulsivity. It can also boost school performance in children with ADHD. A growing number of schools now integrate yoga and mindfulness into physical education programs or classroom curriculums, and many yoga studios offer classes for school-age children. Yoga can be playful and interactive for parents and children at home, as well.